My Humanities Story and Readings

This year, it's a challenge for me to get back to reading. Some I mostly remembered, and some I completely forgot until it came back to me. So, here's what I read this year from studies and m5ylkii free time.
The Critique Handbook
Kendal Buster & Paula Crawford

Buster, Kendall, and Paula Crawford. The Critique Handbook: The Art Student's Sourcebook and Survival Guide. Prentice Hall, 2010.

  • The handbook itself talks about how to take on criticism in the art world. Since it mentions the types of and how to dealt with it when goes through them no thought when people would express what they think when they're not in the same room as the artist themselves. 

Christopherson, Robert W., et al. Geosystems Core. Pearson, 2017.

  • Mostly talks about the Earth's surface and how it's evolved over time. Having chapters such as the shifting of Earth's plates, the sky, and the mentions of global warming. Photos coming from an American River College professor and written as well. The textbook itself is a very informative source when taking a Physical Geography class.

Cook, Nicholas. Music: A Very Short Introduction. Oxford University Press, 2021.

  • Taken for a Music class, this book is well informed since it talks about not just music itself. It discusses the interpretation of music since it's being used over time. Another is the copyright issues and history talking about it since it's important for anyone making music. Also, how music would be used for meaningful things, that would come from the mind and body of the person listening to it. Overall, this book is very informative if you asked me since I learn a lot from some of the chapters in Cook's book.

Cunningham, Lawrence, et al. Culture and Values: A Survey of the Humanities. Cengage Learning, 2017.

  • Since it mostly talks about the history of humanism. Likely discussed on the Renaissance, the periods before the modern side of the topic itself. Also the use of style, paintings, and the behavioral manner from what I read throughout the semester.

Wotakoi:
Love Is Hard for Otaku
Fujita

Fujita, and Sawa Matsueda Savage. Wotakoi: Love Is Hard for Otaku. Kodansha Comics, 2020.

        • So this is a manga, very different from what I'm used to reading this semester. Its about 2 office workers, one is into the gaming and the other is a anime fan who would write stories. They also have other friends in the group, noticing that one of them is a gamer as well and it's a girl from what I remember, and another is like a wingman to the man and been friends with them for a while. This is the first of the series I'm reading, I quite enjoyed it and I have the rest of the collection at the moment.

Lakoff, George, and Mark Johnson. Metaphors We Live By. University of Chicago Press, 2017.

  • Hamlet
    CliffsNotes
    This talks about, of course, metaphor. And what they have to do in society itself. I find it quite interesting since we used it all the time and never notice a book about it. We used saying like "it's raining cats and dogs" or something like that. Overall, it's a interesting read since it's also involve the some of the part of the art world itself, even would find new expression when going along.

Shakespeare, William, et al. Hamlet: Notes. Cliff Notes, 1994. 

  • This is the Cliff Note version of Hamlet since I remember reading it in high school and never used this version before until now. The Cliff Note version is very useful since the play is hard to understand when reading it alone and couldn't understand the words in the play. The story itself talks about Hamlet and his revenge for his father's murder of his uncle. The uncle married his brother's wife and tried to take the kingdom overall. The story involved mostly betrayal and deaths since characters would be killed in some sort of way. Overall, the story is one of many Shakespeare's plays that involve tragedy, and surprisingly comedy.

Part 2: My Story

When taking this Humanities class, I would think we just talked about the modern-day humanities, and how we take on that subject around it. My goal during the first few days of the class is able to learn about the subject itself and get to learn more, along with the American side of Humanities, since I'm also taking that class as well. Soon at the end of the semester, I learn that there's a different theme of Humanities, mostly on humanism itself. I felt like this accomplish my goal because I learned a lot and get a chance to know the depth of the subject itself. 

What interested me most of the class is the idea of art and science since we compared it to all about themes of some discussion. Also, we get to use blog posts to experience and express when writing kinds of themes for each one, depending on what to write about. And what I already know is some of the reading of Hamlet since we got back to that since high school. We could go into depth on the reading in high school back around 2016. Overall, that's what I learn in this semesters' Humanities class.


Comments

Popular Posts